Lead in Toy Jewelry

I found this story about Lead very Interesting...

Lead is a highly toxic metal that was used for many years in products found in and around our homes. Lead may cause a range of health effects from behavioral problems and learning disabilities to seizures and death. Children six years old and under are most at risk because their bodies are growing quickly.

When a child puts an object containing lead in his or her mouth, the child can suffer from lead poisoning. For example, in 2003 a child became lead-poisoned from ingesting toy jewelry from a vending machine. On July 8, 2004, the threat of lead poisoning from toy jewelry led the CPSC to conduct a voluntary recall of 150 million pieces of metal toy jewelry sold widely in vending machines. Unfortunately, another incident occurred in 2006, when a child died from ingesting a toy charm containing lead. This incident prompted the voluntary recall of 300,000 charm bracelets. The charm and metal bracelets were given as free gifts with the purchase of shoes from one manufacturer.

Toy jewelry containing unsafe levels of lead has continued to be sold even after CPSC issued guidance to prevent the sale of these products. In addition to toy jewelry products containing lead, other products containing lead have been recalled, such as crayons, chalk and clothing. For a list of recalls, including recalls for products containing lead, visit CPSC's Toy Hazards Recall Listing.... .. Read More>>
Category:
Reactions: 

0 comments:

Post a Comment